Warner - Golia House
25 Woodlawn Avenue, Fairport NY 14450
This article was written in 2011 and does not include any changes occurring since that time.
As one walks down Woodlawn Avenue in Fairport, one can't help but notice the beautifully maintained home at #25. The Warner-Golia House, which was completed in 1886, was owned by C. G. Dewitt who sold it that same year to Charles Sammons. Ownership then went to George H. Warner in 1912.
The home was designated a Village Landmark by the Fairport Historic Preservation Commission in April of 2011. It is named for George Warner, Director of the Fairport Savings Bank,, and the Golia family who owned the home for over 30 years.
The photo at right was taken in 2014.
Stick Style with Federal Door
The house was built in the Stick Style, a Victorian variation, and is one of a very few Stick Style houses in Fairport.
Significant Stick Style elements in this home are the patterns created by the use of sticks in the upper front gable and above the second story windows. The shingles on the second story were applied in varied patterns. The curved braces on the front and second story porch and the curved brackets with a medallion on north and south sides of the house are significant elements.
The Federal entrance with a fanlight and side transom is a rarely found architectural element in Fairport houses.
C. G. Dewitt
The first owner of record was C. G. Dewitt. By profession, it is believed that DeWitt was an accountant, so real estate may have been an investment for him. There were many in Fairport who bought multiple lots in new developments, and commissioned the construction of houses, which they then sold.
George H. Warner
The George H. Warner family lived at 25 Woodlawn from 1912 to about 1971. Mr. Warner was a Director of the Fairport Savings and Loan from 1921 to 1966 - 45 years! He retired from the American Can Company in 1942. The Warner family contributed to, and were active in village life for almost 60 years.
The Golia Family
The Golia family purchased the house in 1974. Their love for their home is shown in the meticulous care given for over 30 years as the colored stained glass windows on the third floor shine like jewels in the sunlight.
For more information on the Fairport Historic Preservation Commission and designated landmarks, go to the village website at www.fairportny.com or to the Village Preservation page.